Wednesday, April 29, 2009

AWESOME DAY




It was an Big Day for Missy Rachel!! She got her Learner’s Permit today so she can officially start learning how to operate a motor vehicle!! Amazing isn’t it. She was just a baby a few short years back and here she is driving a car. My car. When did I become my mother??

She was so happy today and the smiles could not be contained. She scored a 88 on the driver’s test today only missing 3 out of 30 questions. Pretty good. Of course, I quizzed her on which ones she missed so we could make sure to review them :-). I’m certain she needed to know them to be let loose out on the roads - the HOUSTON roads to be exact.

So what do you do the minute you get your permit? Your mom lets you drive to school. Well, this mom did. I wasn’t even too terribly scared and I actually amazed myself at how calm I’ve been today with my instructions to her while in the car AND how easily she’s taken those instructions without arguing or getting upset. I think the fact that I told her any arguing with me in the vehicle about driving would cause us to cease and desist with the “parent taught driver’s education” and force her to wait until she had 3 weeks in a row with no other activities to take a private driver’s ed course. :-) Amazing what a little motivation will do for ya!

She drove from the DPS office to school. I picked her up from school and she drove home. She drove from home to the baseball fields for Stephen’s practice. She drove from baseball fields to home to mall. She did very well for the most part. Only really scared me once ... as she was making a left at the high school out of the parking lot, she was going a wee bit to fast and I was a little afraid we might run into the poor policeman directing the traffic and the nearest mailbox! However, she recovered and narrowly missed them both! Whew!

That’s our big news around here!!

TAKS for Stephen is over with Math yesterday and Reading today! YAY!! Rachel has Math TAKS tomorrow.

Surgery for Rachel is set for Friday morning early. We report to the hospital at 6:00 am for surgery scheduled at 7:30 am. She’s already planning her 11:30 pm meal tomorrow night since she can’t eat or drink after midnight tomorrow. Her friend Kayla is being allowed to skip school on Friday to come hang out with Rachel. Not sure why she wants to, but they are BFFs and so she wanted to be here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe that baby girl has her permit - the picture is precious. Glad that Kayla is going with y'all tomorrow.
Meme

Stacey said...

Awesome day....boo-hoo that she is old enough...that means Macie is next---SCARY!!!