Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Driving??? Driving??? Driving.......

So it begins......


I’ve been putting her off for 6 months.....and finally.... 

Rachel got her driver’s license learning packet and is on the brink of getting her permit. Holy moly.  Look how happy she is!!  I remember being old enough to take driving lessons.  Wow!  It's like a rite of passage.



Mama is nervous about this. I don’t really know (cause they sure didn’t mention it, if they were) if my parents were really nervous like this when I started driving or either of my sisters. However, Mom & Dad, if you were, now I totally get it. I’ve been getting it for awhile just envisioning my child out there on the roads with all the other crazies. While I have a certain fear of her newly acquired driving skills, I have a much larger fear knowing the driving skills of the people who are out there with her.

Because of her schedule between soccer, surgery, vacations, and band, she really can’t do the 3 week intensive driving course taught by someone else. So... she’ll be a student of the Parent Taught Education Program by yours truly and John. I’m not sure how this is going to go. John tells me he taught both Laila and Ariane to drive. Other than they both drive too fast (:-0), they seem to have done fine. I may have to take a poll from them to find out for sure.

I see a few parking lot practices in the very near future and hopefully, she won’t put me on the floor of the Jeep like I put my Mom on the floor of the car when she was teaching me one day .... :-)  Perhaps I'll use the seat belts..... 

Stay tuned.... if the timing works, it looks like she’ll get her Learner’s Permit sometime next week when she takes the written test.  

Right now she's studying...... very intently...... (umm... I don't see kind of intensity on her schoolwork!!)


Praying would be good.... for both of us.

PS - Please pray for her this weekend as well as the other riders in the MS150.  They start tomorrow morning very early and the weather is not forecasted to be very good.... in fact, there is chance for some very severe weather.    

Happy Friday!
MA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no way that this baby girl is old enough to be driving - maybe riding in a car seat? What joys you have ahead during these practice driving sessions - ah, the good old days. Can't wait to hear how those go, and we'll certainly be praying for our precios girl this weekend. meme

Stacey said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I SOOOO remember mom being thrown to the floor of the car!!! Isn't that when she delegated the driving lessons to Dad from then on out???? Hee-Hee...what funny memories...Can't believe Rachel is going to start driving....can you put steel bars on all sides of the car so no crazy people can hurt her???

Lynn said...

It is hard to believe that this beautiful young girl is old enough to drive. However, think back when you were 15 and how grown up you felt. :D

I was 14, the age to get a license, my mother had the pleasure of teaching me to drive -- I was too much like my dad. Need I explain how those driving lessons went? lol Mom taught me well.

I suspect, though, you will be spending more time in prayer than possibly before. God bless Rachel and you.

Mary-Austin said...

I know.. it's crazy to think she's old enough to be driving. She was just born yesterday... .... 15 yesterday years ago. Geez..... I would love to put steel bars around the car so everyone else just bounces right off if they get too close!!
And yes, I'll be praying a lot.