Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1, 2009

July?? Already??? Wowzer... half the year is gone. Amazing how quickly that happens. Seems to go by faster and faster each year.

July 1 is also another meaningful day for me for a couple of reasons.

1) John and I had our first date on the 1st of April a few years back, so we always have a race to see who remembers to say "Happy Anniversary" every month on the 1st. Nine times out of ten, he's first!! Darn him... I need to write myself a note or something to remind myself. The brain doesn't kick in until after coffee and then usually I'm driving starting to think about work. Pooh....He did again today!! However, I'll memorialize it here. Happy First Date Anniversary!!

2) The kids go with their Dad on July 1st usually for a month. While I do enjoy a little peace and quiet and some alone time with my husband, I do actually miss them and all the noise they create. They just have a presence here and when they are here... all is well in the world. Even when I'm fussing at them for something, I know they are home and safe where they should be. Their absence gives me a little glimpse into how my world will be when they go off to college in a few short years. I don't think I'm going to like it much. I do enjoy talking with them and hearing about their days. Being a part of the every day with them.

This year though, while they are off with their Dad on vacation to Washington DC and Virginia right now, they are not spending the whole month with him due to schedules and vacations, etc. So, I'll see them in a couple of weeks.

*************
Switching Gears......

Finally got solar screens put on the windows today ... all 22 of them!!! Can you say expensive?? Yes. Yes, they were. But, I can already tell a difference in that the air conditioner isn't having to work nearly as hard as it has been and hopefully.... hopefully... that will turn into some $$ savings for us on the electric bills.  With several weeks of 100+ temperatures, the electric bill is going to be gigantic.  Scares me to even think about what it will be.  We went with 90% blocking on the windows, so the tradeoff is the house is a little darker.  I'll trade darker for cooler right now.  We can take them off for winter to add the suns warmth back to the house if we want.  Kinda cool.

Other Free thinking thoughts right now.....

Found out from some blood work I had done recently that I am deficient in Vitamin D.  Only had it tested because my sister found out recently she is too.  It's interesting because Vitamin D is commonly known as the sunlight Vitamin.  Most people in the South shouldn't have a deficiency in this vitamin if you're healthy and ever go out doors.  5 - 30 minutes, 3 times a week should be sufficient for Vitamin D absorption.  While I'm not outdoors all the time, I get outside enough in the garden and general outdoors stuff that I shouldn't be deficient.  So, begs the question as to why am I deficient?   What happens when you don't get enough Vitamin D? For starters, without Vitamin D, you don't absorb enough calcium and you end up with bone issues.  You can experience fatigue, gain weight,  depression, higher rates of cancer.  All sorts of fun things.  Maybe that's partially why we have such a weight issue amongst my sisters and I?  It plays into the metabolic process.  Who knows... will find a good supplement and report back any changes.  Hey... if it can help me lose weight, I'll be over the moon.  

Happy Weds!!

MA

1 comment:

Lynn said...

It is amazing, isn't it, how fast time flies.

We have solar screens on our sun room which is really an enclosed porch. Our windows are tinted on the west. We were in this house 14 years before I installed triple honeycomb shades in the living area which faces east and then 5 years later added drapes. It has been a gradual move towards blocking the sun in every room. It is a little like a cave. lol But it helps on the electric bill as well as the heating bill in winter.