Friday, September 12, 2008

9-11-08


September 11, 2008 -
What a day in history. Yesterday was the 7th Anniversary of the attacks on America in New York and Washington. Do you remember where you were during those attacks? I sure do. I was in my car on the way to work and heard a radio announcement after the first attack. Then recall hearing about the second attack and watching TV reports at the office throughout the morning and watching the buildings crumble to the ground. I remember feeling a terrible sadness for the people who were losing their lives and their families having to watch it happen as well as personal sense of fear for the security of my family's and America's security. It's one of those memories that you always remember where you were.
For me, the only other significant event in my lifetime that I recall is when Challenger exploded after takeoff on January 28, 1986. At that time, the shuttle takeoff's were still televised each and every time. I was sitting in my dormitory watching All My Children when they broke in to televise the doomed takeoff. It was just awful to watch Challenger explode and know the lives lost. I'm told my mother put me in front of the tv when Neil Armstong became the first man to walk on the Moon in July, 1969, I was 2 years old. Another amazing American moment...but no personal feelings from this one.
Many people have issues with America and our extreme diverse political views play out those differences daily. But there is really no argument that all of us must vote for those who help to secure America's borders - securing our ideals and our freedom here. The mere fact that we are able to have such diverse views and speak them in public is an example of America's ideals that we must protect. It's freedom... it's the foundation on which America was established and how we expect to be live our lives. No one wants to lose this freedom. We have to protect ourselves from those groups/peoples/ideals who do not support our rights to be Americans. I do agree that many of our "American freedoms" are not good for us... nor are many of them good for society as a whole. However, the critical item is we (American people) have the ability to CHOOSE how to worship, choose our careers and how to live, speak our opinions without fear, and many other freedoms.
Right now.... we are preparing for Ike. Ike is now forecasted to be a Cat 2 at landfall, not Cat 3. We are staying here and boarded up the windows yesterday. See John hard at work cutting the wood to size for the windows. There are lots of windows..... it took many hours yesterday to get this done. The other preparations we had to take were to clear the yard of all lawn furniture, plants, etc. that could be otherwise used as missiles with strong winds.
Just to make it clear for my family and friends... yes, I'm in 77546 which was called for a mandatory evacation in Harris County. However, I'm in Galveston County and in Friendswood and Friendswood has only called a voluntary evacation, not mandatory. See the link for Friendswood http://www.ci.friendswood.tx.us/COF/news/default.htm?rel_id=10649
I'll keep blogging here and there until we lose power probably later tonight.
MA

No comments: