Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Scrapbooking & Girl Time

This past weekend I had the pleasure of spending time with a bunch of great gals at a neat little bed and breakfast retreat outside of Rosenberg, TX in Wallis. Marybeth, Dallas, Laurie, Beth, and Susan. We were all there for one thing - scrapbooking. Well, pretty much for scrapbooking although since we’re girls, the chatting, drinking, eating parts are all part of the package! Boys don’t get that....

There are pictures HERE.
A couple of my favorites are here. I didn’t actually take very many pictures this weekend. Just a few.

IMG_1322

IMG_1351

I have to say I really didn’t know most of these ladies very well. Of course, Susan and I are BFFs going on way too many years to even mention these days. It was really fun to interact and get to know them over this past weekend! Everyone is so fun to hang out with and I really enjoyed hearing their thoughts, struggles and opinions.

We have common bonds in several of us with sons in the Boy Scouts, kids in Friendswood schools, and all of us raising families in this day and age with all the technology and societal struggles that comes along with it now. Not that there weren’t struggles when we were growing up... our lives just have different twists now with the internet, facebook, cell phones, texting, etc. Although, we all decided one very convenient behavior modification that works like a charm is “cell phone confiscation!” Works wonders!!

But I digress... back to scrapbooking.... after all... that’s why we were there, right? Right.

Scapbooking is really universal although most think the term “scrapbooking” means you have to find your creative side, requiring lots of tools and is for people with a lot of time! Most of us scrapbook in one way or another. It may not be with colorful papers, scissors, little squares and ribbons all the time. It a process of capturing memories. That’s it! Simply taking pictures and collecting memorabilia is scrapbooking! Putting the pictures in an album.... box... paper bag. It’s all still scrapbooking - capturing memories that are important to us and to those around us. The albums and layouts we produce just provide an easy place to be able to look through the past (without having to dig through the boxes... ).

Some of us have an addiction.... to the tools... the papers.. the ribbons... the stamps... the cute little stuff.... OK... here we go....

Hi, my name is Mary Austin and I’m a scrapbook stuff addict.... and a photo addict.... and a memories addict....

If you were one of these ladies and SAW the amount of stuff I took with me for this weekend, you would agree with that statement wholeheartedly!! However... it was so cute and so fun and I used most of it. And I think the Cricut got a workout!!

Ok - maybe only a little bit of an addict... but seriously, I just really want to capture the memories and it lets my creative side have fun too.

In the end, it’s just about capturing memories. I feel as if I have accomplished something if I’ve captured that person, event, emotions, or snippet of life in some way that is meaningful to me and my family.

We loved it so much that I’m hoping we’ll get together on Fridays or Saturdays at my house.. in my scrapbook room... and keep the momentum going. I needed that inspiration as I really hadn’t been very creative in awhile.... a long while....

It feels good.

MA

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Wish I was creative like you....glad you had fun...

Lynn said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'm impressed with the organization of your scrapbooking supplies.

The B&B looks delightful and so peaceful.