Thursday, June 25, 2009

My how things change in a day....

Besides the fact that it's scorching hot here in Houston right now (picture to come of just how hot), we received some news yesterday that has us all kind of sitting back on our heels a bit.

Last week, I retrieved Stephen from camp due to some fainting issues. The pediatrician decided he needed an EKG to check for any heart issues.

On Monday, we made our way down to Texas Children's Hospital for what was basically a 10 second (literally) test. I have to admit, I was a bit miffed (to put it mildly if you spoke to me that day). Had to basically take half a day off, park, wind your way through the buildings to get to the cardiology department, for a test that took all of 10 seconds. I just really couldn't grasp how you can tell much about my son's heart with a 10 second test.

Apparently... you can.

We received a phone call from the pediatrician yesterday with news we were not hoping for, quite frankly. The EKG indicates potential Right Ventricular Hypertrophy issues. Basically, it's possible he has an enlargement of the right ventricle of his heart. Why? no clue How? no clue What do we do about it? no clue. I hate that.

Next steps are to see a pediatric cardiologist for a full work up on the search for the root cause of this issue. This takes way too much time in my little humble opinion. Apparently, they don't consider him critical or urgent (which is good), so we go through the fairly lengthy referral process in Texas Children's which could take 4 - 8 weeks before we see a doctor to even start figuring it out. Hate that too.

So.. what do I do?? Mama Bear kicks into full gear and I start leaning on my friends (and friends of friends) who are docs and see if we can do anything to fast track this a bit. Stay tuned.

For now... until told otherwise, we have to discontinue all his ADHD meds which will really make his and our lives extra fun for awhile and no trips out of town which of course, comes right as we're starting to go on planned vacations.

Things happen.......

Prayers are requested for an outcome that is good and treatable!!

MA

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh, my goodness girl, I'll be praying for him.

Stacey said...

when did the no trips out of town happen? I though they said you could go?? of course you know we are praying

Mary-Austin said...

my friend who is the pedi/internist at Hermann told me if this were his kid, he wouldn't take him out of town until we know more about the issues.