Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas Eve & Christmas


Christmas Eve – has so many wonderful memories from years past. When I was a child, this was a day that always held a great deal of anticipation of what was to come soon the next day. We usually had a beautiful dress to wear, a trip to church and a wonderful dinner to look forward to on Christmas Eve. Most often we were with extended family whether in San Antonio or Houston at our home. When I was a bit older in high school I was active in my church and Christmas Eve always meant several church services where I would sing in the choir and play my flute at the end of the service- O Holy Night. Those are very special memories.

Our Christmas Eve in 2008 was similar in many ways. We had family around us – Meme, Poppy, Perry. We went to church in the afternoon at Friendswood Community Church. Our church service is quite different from the one I went to as a child. The church we go to is a non-denominational church with a wonderful focus on worship music and relevant messages as opposed to the Episcopal Church I grew up going to with hymnal based songs and standard ritualistic celebrations. There is nothing wrong with it but I do enjoy the more casual feel of the music I find at FCC and the relevant messages for today’s world but with bible based principles. The church is also pretty casual from a dress standpoint. I do miss dressing up just a bit to go to church.

Then… the cooking and eating began!! We had an absolutely wonderful meal on Christmas Eve. John cooked a wonderful Prime Rib served with horseradish sauce, lightly cooked asparagus, fabulous bacon infused peas and Mom and I made our wonderful Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes. Our dessert was pecan pie, apple pie and gingerbread cake. We had a fabulous Cakebread Dancing Bear Cabernet Sauvignon wine with dinner and we couldn’t have been happier with how everything came out. Yummy yummy for the tummy!!

The one thing we didn’t do this year that has been a tradition the past 14 years is have a Happy Birthday Jesus party!! I think we just ran out of time. Our Happy Birthday Jesus tradition began when Rachel was 1 year old and we would have a little party each Christmas Eve with a birthday cake baked for Jesus. When Rachel and Stephen were younger, the party progressed to a lunch with lots of neighborhood kids and families joining us for crafts, treats, cake and the reading of The Candy Cane story. This was an activity that accomplished several goals when the kids were smaller. One – we remind the kids and celebrate the reason for Christmas. Two – we kept the kids from being so bored that they continually thought about what Santa was going to bring them. Somehow we missed celebrating this way this year so I’m sorry!! We won’t miss it again next year! The kids are older now but we can still make sure we recognize why we celebrate Christmas a little more actively.
One tradition that we didn’t miss was the opening of new Christmas PJ’s and the reading of The Night Before Christmas. My mother started this tradition for me and my sisters when we were little and we’ve subsequently carried it into our families as they have grown. This year was no different. Rachel and Stephen opened up the one present they can open each year. They of course know this and expect it each year as well!! The new pj’s aren’t always Christmas themed so they can be worn at times other than Christmas. Rachel got some nice pink pajamas and Stephen some green deer flannel bottoms. Then we move into the reading of the The Night Before Christmas. We have a fun tradition at the part where Santa places his finger beside his nose. Everyone in the room (this year it was all of us) have to put their finger aside their nose and in unison, everyone says “up the chimney he goes”. Quite a site!
With the reading of the traditional story over, we make a quick check on the Norad Santa Tracker to see where Santa has last been sighed and then all children have to go to bed. With the kids off to dreamland, John and I began our last minute preparations before going to bed ourselves!
Christmas Day 2008
This morning was filled with fun excitement as we enjoyed a Christman s breakfast of Kringle and Breakfast Casserole together as a family. We then proceeded to unwrap the wonderful gifts left under the tree and in stockings from our loving family members!

I would say we all received so many wonderful gifts!!

Unfortunately, our fun came to an early end as the kids left midday to go with their Dad out of town to New Mexico. In addition, Meme, Poppy & Perry left not too long after they did as well. It left John and me all alone for the rest of the day. It was sort of strange to have such quiet around us on Christmas Day. I think this was the first time I’ve ever spent Christmas afternoon alone with just my husband without family and kids around. I’m used to having lunch and then spending the rest of the day perusing over the gifts, putting things together, and playing games. It was a little weird to me to not do this and I don’t think I liked it quite as much as like hanging out with family. But, hey, I did get to watch an entire evening of the House Marathon on TV! :-)
Next post - Quick Trip to the Guadalupe and New Years Eve!!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

looks like everyone had fun....I know what you mean about it being too quiet aftr the kids leave...