Saturday, January 3, 2009

Been working on my photography skills.....

I've been trying to learn a certain photography technique. I follow a lady's blog - Karen Russell - and I love her pictures and others like them. She teaches a photography class online as well as an occasional one day workshop. However, she lives in Oregon. She was down here in Clear Lake a couple of months back and I just couldn't go to the class due to some kid commitments somewhere. But, I really enjoy her work. I'm about one of 350 people on the waiting lists for her online classes.

Anyway, she uses a technique where you focus on a person or thing and let everything else go blurry around it. I know it has something to do with the lower aperture setting but I really hadn't figured it out. I have two really nice lenses for my Canon digital SLR - a wide angle 17 - 40mm f4 and a prime 50mm f1.8. I couldn't really get the technique down with the wide angle to tonight I switched over to the 50mm lense and set out to practice!~!
My practice canvas tonight was our trip to our favorite Mexican restaurant - Los Ramirez. I just started snapping pictures and I think I got a few really good ones using that technique. Composition wasn't so bad either!! I've put a few here that are my favorites, but check out the Flickr because there are a few more. Of course, I had a sangria margarita and John had a beer. One of my favorite things is queso with jalepenos so shot a few pictures of that as well. John made my plate so he's the one holding the spoon and drizzling the queso on the chips! I had a wonderful chile relleno for dinner so snapped a couple of pictures of it as well. I think it all looks good!





That's about it!! We got home yesterday from New Braunfels and Rachel had an MRI late afternoon. All went well with that and now we await another set of results to see if anything can be found to explain the shoulder pain. The kids are still with Rob and will be home on Sunday afternoon. I do look forward to seeing them! Off to scrapbook and hang out with my handsome man!!
MA

2 comments:

Stacey said...

cool pics....

Lynn said...

Found your site through Feedjit...I, too, am working on my photography skills and can identify. Enrolled in another very basic digital photography class; however, subscribed to Karen Russell per your mention.

I noticed you are a Beth Moore person. My Bible study class is doing her newest, Esther.

Good site; great background; good pictures.

http://musingsfromthehill.blogspot.com

PS: Hope this doesn't post several times but it seems the comment is not being accepted, something to do with the word verification. :D