Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday morning thoughts....

It's a beautiful Sunday morning here in Friendswood. The temperature is delightful in the 50's overnight. I awoke this morning listening to the birds singing as the sun was just starting to show some of it's rays above the horizon. I just layed there and thought how wonderful this is - the cool, crisp weather and me snuggled in under my comforter next to the thermal heater (aka my husband) thinking maybe this is why everyone loves California! We slept with all the windows in the house open last night and the house is nice and cool this morning. I love this kind of morning. Sitting on the couch, no one else up yet, having a perfect cup of coffee and spending time just thinking, reading, looking at various websites, - basically - anything I want to do without anyone needing me for anything - no questions, no attitude, no work, NOTHING. It won't last long as the real world will creep in soon.... but I sure do treasure these moments and thank God that we've been so blessed so that I can have these moments every so often .... and recognize them for how special they are.

I've added a couple of more blog sites to my blog list this morning. As many of you know, we just finished the buildout of the above-garage room of which 2/3rd's of it was made for me to get back to my scrapbook fun. Well... it's been a great idea ... and I have lots of great stuff... I just haven't yet found the motivation or creativeness come back into my head or heart yet. In the years that my scrapbook stuff was packed away and unused, the scrapbook world has changed significantly and there are a ton of new supplies, techniques, papers, etc. It's truly overwhelming for me to walk into a scrapbook store and have any clue what I want to do or how to do it. It's like my brain gets a bit fried from overload of all the neat (and I mean neat) stuff. I think I have to take baby steps ... I want to get up there in my special room and get to work but I've just have not felt a creative spirit flow through me yet with any ideas. So..... i have been trying to jumpstart those juices via just taking a look at local scrapbook stores, thinking if I can find a moment to take a class, reading some blogs, etc. So, you'll see a couple blogs start to show up that are from that interest in my life.

I found one of them very interesting today and want to give some thought to it - for a number of reasons.

Heidi Swapp who is a well known scrapbook industry designer has something on her blog that made me think. Notice it says
FIX IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE DO, DO WITHOUT

Her family set a goal to use every resource to their fullest. Terms such as "re-use", "frugality", "conservation", "grateful" go with this goal. She encourages her family (children included) to make notes about the ways they have contributed to this goal or perhaps noticed when someone else has. It's fitting today for me to read this because John and I have been talking to the kids about this subject - especially in the economy we are facing and the unknown. While I'm not worried about my job and neither is John, adopting these principles is good for all of us. We'll see where it takes us and what lessons it may teach us.

On Sundays ... come Dallas football. We'll say a little prayer for them to win today so the nice mood is continued throughout the entire day!! :-)

Oh yea... UT won yesterday!! Hook 'Em Horns!! Bring on those Raiders....



1 comment:

Stacey said...

Guns up, sister!!!Go Tech!!Hee-Hee