Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sunday, October 31, 1993 - Halloween

Continuing our story.....

I spent the night going through contractions that were getting harder and closer together as well as reliving the 2:00AM hour as we set the clocks back an hour that weekend. Some time early in the morning, we made our way back to the hospital (Woman's Hospital of Texas) and I had progressed some - enough for them to keep me in the hospital and agree to provide me with an epidural. None of this fast labor stuff... oh, no. Slow and steady like the turtle. I thought it was painful enough and wanted the relief that comes from that wonderful epidural. The anesthesiologist was my best friend. Loved him.

Dr. Leeds, my OB GYN, was not on call for the weekend. Never fear, Dr. Mark Jacobs did a great job and we had some wonderful labor and delivery nurses as well. Everything was going pretty much as it should!

Labor progressed with me happily enjoying the epidural for the most part. It was a Sunday afternoon. I remember the Cowboys were playing someone on that day (Eagles maybe?) during the time I was working to bring her into the world. 3 hours of pushing to be exact. She was just a stubborn little thing. Probably was just so smart even then, she knew it was better to stay comfy and cozy in my tummy then come out in the bright world!! Eventually, at 5:00 pm on the dot, she was born and entered the word crying! I was crying too. We were both a mess. This was a good thing!

Total time in labor = 26 hours (when you count the 2:00 time reset)

Rachel Austin Harlow born at 5:00 pm on October 31, 1993. She weighed 8 lbs even and was 20 inches long. Beautiful baby girl with dark brown hair. Loved by lots and lots of people. Beautiful Baby!

1993 - Baby Rachel

There are only a few truly amazing moments in life. This was one of them. She was here. She was healthy. Everything was good. Everyone was happy.

In the waiting room was a crowd waiting on her birth. They were getting a little rowdy in the waiting room sitting with anticipation! There was a really funny movie made by all the family in the waiting room at this time. I would really like to get it converted from VHS to digital. It was so characteristic of our family with all the funny thoughts & actions. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family and great friends. God is good.

In attendance waiting with anticipation at the hospital at the time of her birth were my parents, Austin & Walter, Rob’s parent’s - Betty & Tommy, my sister Perry, and Rachel’s Godmothers - Susan & Shelley. Stacey wasn’t able to join us until the next day and she drove all night to get there! Within 20 minutes of her birth, everyone was crowded into our hospital room to meet little Miss Rachel. The nurses had cleaned her up a bit, wrapped her up and put a little pumpkin hat on her head to recognize the date of her birth on Halloween! My little pumpkin. She was passed around from person to person greeting everyone!

Here are some pictures! (click on it to see it in a larger format)
1993 - Baby Rachel

As I go through the pictures from this time, I truly wish I understood more and thought more ahead for scrapbooking. While I have a good many pictures and love them all, there are several more pictures I wish I had now. Reminds me why I am so diligent about taking pictures and trying ot capture the memories. Love them!

Stay tuned for more later.... she’s 16 now!!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

She was a beautiful baby. Great story.

Anonymous said...

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL


Stephen

Anonymous said...

AND A TRULY FABULOUS DAY IT WAS for our Precious Rachel came into the world to be loved by many.

Stacey said...

Just a side note...I did infact arrive on that night but it was like 11pm-12 am so I slept at your house with everyone else and saw her first thing in the am...I was in Texline with Robert when I found out you were in labor and drove like a maniac ALL the way across the state LITERALLY!!! I planned much better with Stephen...wasn't I there several days early just waiting to make sure I didn't miss it again?? HA HA!! Happy Birthday to my sweet, precious Rachie Reindeer!