Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 1 - Harmel's here we come!

This was our (well, my!) first full day in Colorado and let me say, it was quite nice. I can't recall if I mentioned what we did last night (Sunday), but we went to Garlic Mike's for dinner which was really good! Italian (if you couldn't guess) and sitting right on the Gunnison River. Was nice!

This morning, we lazily got up, had some breakfast at the great Holiday Inn Express breakfast bar and packed up. Even gave some lessons on Facebook to my dad AND helped him to set up an account. He's a cool facebooking 72 year now! LOL

Once packed, we hit Gene Taylor's Fly shop to get my fishing license, then the grocery store for provisions, and then made our way to Harmels. We got here about 1 pm and our cabin was ready! This is quite a nice place - not luxurious - but nice. Our cabin is facing the Taylor river, you can hear the river sitting on the porch. It was a bit on the hot side again today at about 87 degrees or so. That's pretty hot up here and remember, there is no AC, so we sat outside in the shade under the porch. By about 4:30, we got our fishing gear on and took the few steps to the Taylor River in front of us. Dad hung out with me to give me some lessons and I had one strike. Nothing else, but I did get some good practicing and I sure did look good! So did John.

Dinner tonight was care of the very popular Harmel's BBQ - steak/crab night cookout. Lots of other folks in a nice clearing with a accordion musician and polka music. Was a fun time! John ate TONS of crab. His portion, mine and Dad's since we only had steak. Picture below of the damage!

After dinner... Dad wanted to learn more about Facebook, so we had a few more lessons and even a funny conversation with my sister, Stacey!

Pictures - most are on my Flickr website HERE and a few below!

Ok - we're getting ready to hit the creeks again today.. fish beware!!

"Stinky Boys" Trip - a few pics


Colorado Trip -IMGP1492-2009.jpg

Colorado Trip -IMGP1494-2009.jpg

Colorado Trip -IMGP1495-2009.jpg
This is apparently the "mountain" they climbed down to get to the creek where they fished one day!

Colorado Trip -IMGP1502-2009.jpg
THIS, my friends, is why I don't go on the Stinky Boys Trip!

Colorado Trip -IMGP1511-2009.jpg
These are the fish the Great Fishermen caught!

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_5212-2010.jpg
Our cabin at Harmels

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_5213-2010.jpg
This is right in front of our cabin practically!

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_5217-2010.jpg
Great pic of my Dad!

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_5218-2010.jpg
Yea.. that's my man!

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_0561-2010.jpg
Look at me!!

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_0567-2010.jpg
The fishing couple!

Colorado Boys Faces 8x8
Captured these faces last night! Crazy boys.

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_5256-2010.jpg
John's Pile O Crab last night!!

Colorado Trip 2010-IMG_5280-2010.jpg
Dancing last night!

Check out the rest of the pics in Flickr! Click HERE!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love all the pics -n you really do look good out there in the river with your gear!! Can't believe John ate ALL of that!! Love you

Stacey said...

why aren't the pics showing up?? ARGH!!

Stacey said...

never mind...I can see them now...LOL!